Wednesday 24 February 2010

Iron Kingdoms World Guide: A history lesson you'll be happy to pay attention in!

Great cover for the World Guide.

The Iron Kingdoms is a setting with immense history, culture and warfare that extend well past the 'faction books' and 'module books' that WARMACHINE and HORDES have to offer. But how do you access this 'goldmine' of information? Well look no further then the Iron kingdom role play guides! No longer in print I was lucky enough to aquire both the world guide and character guide from a friend for some 'light' reading, what I didnt realise was how obsessive the details in these books were.
Opening the pages of these hardback tomes I am greeted with an extremly large contents page (I consider this a good thing) and flicking through I am met with a black-and-White image of a colossal (A giant warjack used to repel the Orgoth)and instantly I can tell things are going to get deep.
The machine itself.

The book, a supplement for the Iron Kingdoms Role playing game uses the 3.5 rule set from Dungeons and Dragons and by simply adopting this system it allowed the creators to make a truely unique world that the games we love are based on today.
So, what really makes this book appealing to a WARMACHINE player? well sadly you wont find any comtempary 'Fluff', no stories of warcasters trashing 'jacks instead what you will find is how a Warcaster's power armour works, how much you can barter a pig for with the khardic people (personally I love this, the thought makes me chuckle whenever I see a Khador player).You will find out everything from religion, mining, races, Human history, even the universe! This book will keep me engaged for as long as I can put off my friend wanting it back.
Exhaustive information page after page.

Sadly because these books are out of print some people see fit to charge ridiculous prices for these guides and some are reaching over 100 pounds in value. But fear not for they have just been released in PDF format, yet though they have been made avaiable for all I feel sad that these books will never again see print and are forver to be lost in the Fringes of RPG's.
As a Troll player I love this picture.

I requested these books because I could not get enough of the world history, I wanted to know WHY these things happen, WHY the kingdoms of Caen use warjacks and what happened to shape the Iron Kingdoms as they are today.
So beg your friends to borrow their copies, download the PDF or fork out the cash for that near mint copy! Because if you're like me you'll feel this book is worth its weight in GOLD.

No comments:

Post a Comment